About the Program
The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a community service job training program for older Americans. Authorized by the Older Americans Act, the program provides training for older job seekers who have low incomes and are unemployed.
Goodwill Industries is working with the U.S. Department of Labor to provide critical job training and employment services through SCSEP in 9 different states.
The goal of this program is to provide training and employment services for
individuals who are 55 years of age and older and have low incomes.
Evansville Goodwill Industries provides services to 20 different counties as shown on the map to the right:
Kentucky: Daviess, Henderson, Hopkins, McLean
Indiana: Crawford, Dubois, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Spencer
Illinois: Clay, Crawford, Hamilton, Jasper, Jefferson, Lawrence, Richland, Wabash, Wayne, White
Goodwill is helping older job seekers learn new job skills while training at public and nonprofit organizations in their communities such as housing agencies, food banks, libraries, schools, senior centers, and child care centers. The goal is that program participants will take the skills they learn in the program to gain employment in the private or public sector for which wages, or wages and tips, are paid that equal or exceed the federal hourly minimum wage.
When older job seekers come to Goodwill, employment specialists deliver thorough needs assessments, create individual employment plans, administer basic skills classes and assist in job placement, training and eventual transition to non-subsidized employment.
Goodwill’s SCSEP effort has helped more than 8,502 older workers in local communities since 2006.
Goodwill® proudly participates in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), a national employment and training program funded by the U.S. Department of Labor. A $20,971,372 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor provided 90 percent of the funding for Goodwill’s SCSEP programs in the program year 2018. Goodwills provided the remaining 10 percent through in-kind contributions worth $2,330,152.44. See goodwill.org/scsep for funding details.
Evansville Goodwill Industries received a subaward of $781,032.00 and is contributing in-kind contributions valued at $90,533.21 to cover the remaining 10 percent of operational costs.
A letter from SCSEP participant, Maria Prince, about her experience as a SCSEP participant. I, Maria Prince, have been retired from the medical field in Washington, D.C. for 21 years, not counting my service time with the military. It all began from high school....